Everyone needs a little get-away sometimes. If Disneyland is not in the budget this year, consider a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound, WA. Even this type of trip can be budget breaking if you do not plan ahead. Here are some money saving tips that will help you stay within a reasonable budget.
1. Breakfast: If you want to eat breakfast on location, be sure to book it prior to check-in. You will save quite a lot of money. We paid around $40.00 for a family of five. The food was okay, but nothing spectacular.
2. Bring your own food: Each room is equipped with a refrigerator and microwave, so feel free to bring your own foods. Think about bringing fresh fruit, microwavable breakfasts, yogurts and breakfast bars to eat the next morning. McDonalds is just a short drive away and can be a good option for breakfast too.
3. Snacks: As you would expect, snacks are not cheap at GWL.Take a break from the water park and refuel with some healthy snacks. Carrot sticks, crackers and grapes are all quick and easy snacks that you can easily transport.
4. Dinner: Burger Claim is in the parking lot of Great Wolf, but is not affiliated with it. The food is pretty good and the prices are moderate. We ate there one year and the next year decided to head to Pizza Hut which is about 6 miles away.
5. Water: A bottle of water will set you back $5 at the lodge. Bring your own so you won't have to pay the high prices.
6. Desserts: There is an on-site bakery that serves delicious looking goodies, but you won't want to pay the price. Stop-by a grocery bakery to pick-up a yummy treat before arriving at the lodge. Or better yet, bring a homemade goodie. This will help reduce the temptation to purchase anything on site.
Everyone will want to bring home some type of keepsake.
1. Penny: Head to the lobby and create a keepsake penny. The cost is only .51 cents and you can choose from three different designs.
2. Wolf Ears: You are likely to see wolf ears (ears attached to a headband) around the Lodge. This is the "in" keepsake for the under 10 crowd. They can be purchased on the main floor (at the gift shop) and around $5.
3. Photos: Photos are the best type of keepsake. There are plenty of photo ops in and outside of the Lodge. Don't miss the large wooden Great Wolf Lodge chair in-between the front doors inside the lobby and clock tower (especially during story time) and the characters who will be cruising around.